Saturday 6 June 2015

Trying to stop the Windows 10 download - a fool's errand

I didn't think I'd have such an issue with this. Normally if you elect to do something on your PC, there's an, "Are you sure?" dialog with "Yes" and "No" buttons below.

Sadly, neither this nor anything close has been the case with this upgrade.

Having discovered that I would lose the software HP installed for me on my PC, as well as other applications I'm sure, I'd also lose the ability to use very important hardware without trying to find alternative software, With that in mind, I elected to forego the upgrade to Windows 10.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this edition of Microsoft's operating system. In fact, from what I've seen, it's actually better than the versions that have appeared since Windows 7, but for me, it would be too much of an upheaval. I don't feel that in this instance, an upgrade is actually an improvement over what I currently have and therefore, I have been looking for a means by which to respectfully decline Microsoft's kind offer.

According to Microsoft, I can cancel the reservation at any time, but for the life of me, I cannot find out how. Every attempt I have made to ascertain just where to find the, "Cancel reservation" button, has only led me to an FAQ page or a page where I need to sign up to the Microsoft network first.

I just want to opt out, which I can apparently do - according to the Microsoft bs - at any time.

How?

I did what the instructions on the FAQ told me to do and this is what I got.

Now, I know my eyesight is not 20-20, but I can't see any cancel reservation option on this window at all.

Perhaps I'm missing something; perhaps I'm not as bright as I'd like to think I am, but opting out at any time is not what I'm faced with here and getting in touch with the giant corporation is about as easy as flying unaided.

Now I'm really not trying to cause trouble here, but in all the blurb I've read, (including the piece shown to the right on Microsoft's How to upgrade to Windows 10 webpage) this should be a piece of cake, but it's not turning out that way at all and if I could contact Microsoft, this would be entirely unnecessary.

So, their advertising suggests that Windows 10 will be painless and is free, yet the truth is far from painless.

  • All manufacturer installed OEM software will be removed from your PC upon upgrade or installation as might some other programs 
  • You can't hide the windows icon from the system tray unless you do it every time you boot up 
  • You can't cancel your product reservation.

I'm more than a little apprehensive that if I can't cancel my reservation, will I be able to stop the installation or upgrade? So much of what Microsoft have said has been incorrect and now I fear for my PC - something I rely on on a daily basis.

There is only so far I can go and I really need some reassurance that all will be well - something I'm really not feeling right now.

Damn you, Microsoft!

No comments:

Post a Comment